The Australian French Association for Science and Technology (Victoria) Inc was registered as a non-profit, voluntary organisation under the Victorian Associations Incorporation Act 1981 (Certificate of Incorporation No. A 0039471B) on 31 March 2000. The roots of the Association, however, can be traced back to 1965, when the Australian French Association of Professional and Technical Specialists was established in Sydney under the auspices of the French Trade Commission. The founding members were a group of scientists and engineers who had returned to Australia from work or study assignments in France, and their aim in establishing the association was to assist both themselves and others in the same position to maintain their links with France.
- Organisation and hosting of technical and scientific conferences, seminars, forums, workshops and visits, with the participation of Australian and/or French specialists
- Serving as a point of contact through established Australian-French links with Australian and French government departments, tertiary institutions, industry and other organisations
- Awarding of up to three annual post-doctoral scholarships, embodying a grant of up to $5000 for a study tour to France
- Organisation of various informal functions offering members the opportunity to meet with others sharing their Australian-French interests
- Publication of this website.
For further details regarding the mission of AFAS Victoria, please click here.
- Assistance with establishing new contacts
- Invitations to participate in a wide range of activities – with discounted rates where applicable
- Access to AFAS Victoria and FEAST-France publications
- Access to the Members’ Zone of the this website.
To download a PDF copy of the above information, please click here.
Committee of Management
|Honorary President||Peter Tole||president.vic @ afas.org.au|
|Honorary Vice-President||Yvonne Durandet||vice-president.vic @ afas.org.au|
|Immediate Past President||John Acton||john.acton @ afas.org.au|
|Honorary Secretary||Philippe Lesage||secretary.vic @ afas.org.au|
|Honorary Treasurer||Peter Tole||treasurer.vic @ afas.org.au|
|Public Officer||Bernard Shepherd||public.officer.vic @ afas.org.au|
|Committee Member||Stephane Redey||stephen.redey @ afas.org.au|
|Committee Member||Rackel San Nicolas||rackel.sannicolas @ afas.org.au|
|Committee Member||Nicholas Welch||nicholas.welch @ afas.org.au|
|Committee Member||Sabine Hammond.||sabine.hammond @ afas.org.au|
|Swinburne University||Yvonne Durandet|
|Melbourne University||Rackel San Nicolas|
To view the Rules of the Association, please click here.
To view the Statement of Purpose, please click here
In 1965, an association called AFAS (Australian French Association of Technical & Professional Specialists) was formed in Sydney by primarily Australian engineers, who had been to France on a French government sponsored “Stage” and on return to Australia, wanted to keep up their contacts with each other and French companies.
In 1979, a branch was formed in Melbourne.
In 2000, AFAS was incorporated as a non-profit, non-trading organisation under Victorian Association Incorporation Act 1981.
In 2002, the AFAS name was changed to Australian French Association of Science & Technology.
In 2004, the AFAS name was changed to Australian French Association for Science & Technology and the first three AFAS-FEAST France Fellowships were awarded to 3 post graduates who had been awarded Victorian Fellowships.
In 2009, at the Annual General Meeting, we celebrated 30 years of continuous activity, a remarkable achievement for a non-profit, volunteer association.
We are still an active association, and remarkably, this year (2019), at the Annual Dinner, we celebrated 40 years of continuous activity, a remarkable achievement for a non-profit, volunteer association.
Click on the link to see the presentation of these activities over those 40 years.
For the PDF version, use this one Celebrating-40_years_of_AFAS
If you prefer the Powerpoint version, use this link instead to download Celebrating-40_years_of_AFAS