AFAS Victoria Inc
The Australian French Association for Science and Technology (Victoria) Inc was registered as a non-profit, voluntary organisation under
the Victorian Associations Incorporation Act 1981 (Certificate of Incorporation No. A 0039471B) on 31 March 2000.
The roots of the Association, however, can be traced back to 1965, when the Australian French Association of Professional and Technical Specialists was established in Sydney under the auspices of the French Trade Commision. The founding members were a group of scientists and engineers who had returned
to Australia from work or study assignments in France, and their aim in establishing the association was to assist both themselves and others in the same position to maintain their links with France.
AFAS Victoria was formed as a sister organisation in 1979, with the objective of facilitating Australian-French scientific and technological cooperation within Victoria.
This the association has continued to do since its inception through collaboration with:
- UBIFrance (L'Agence Française pour le Développement International des Entreprises –
French Agency for International Business Development) in France;
- local partners such as
- FEAST-France (The French chapter of the Forum for European-Australian Science and Technology Cooperation),
- Business Victoria, and
- its corporate members;
- its sister organisations, AFAS NSW and AFAS ACT; and
- its network of contacts in industry, the universities and other technological organisations.
The association, along with each of its sister organisations, adopted the current less cumbersome name in the late 1990's.
- Organisation and hosting of technical and scientific conferences, seminars, forums, workshops and visits, with the participation of Australian and/or French specialists
- Serving as a point of contact through established Australian-French links with Australian and French government departments, tertiary institutions, industry and other organisations
- Awarding of up to three annual post-doctoral Fellowships, embodying a grant of up to $5000 for a study tour to France
- Organisation of various informal functions offering members the opportunity to meet with others sharing their Australian-French interests
- Publication of this website.
For further details regarding the mission of AFAS Victoria, please click here.
3. Benefits of Membership
- Assistance with establishing new contacts
- Invitations to participate in a wide range of activities – with discounted rates where applicable
- Access to AFAS Victoria and FEAST-France publications
- Access to the Members' Zone of the this website.
To download a PDF copy of the above information, please click here.
4. Rules of the Association
To view the Rules of the Association, please click here.
5. Statement of Purpose
To view the Statement of Purpose, please click here.
6. Committee of Management
To view the list of current committee members, please refer to the Organisation page.